As she accepted the prestigious President’s Award, the 32-year-old Bajan stunner called for us to “fix this world together.”
“We can’t do it divided,” Rihanna said. “I cannot emphasize that enough.”
Adding, We can’t let the desensitivity seep in,” she said. “The ‘if it’s your problem, then it’s not mine.’ ‘It’s a woman’s problem.’ ‘It’s a black people problem.’ ‘It’s a poor people problem.’ I mean, how many of us in this room have colleagues and partners and friends from other races, sexes, religions: show of hands? Well, then you know they want to break bread with you, right? They like you. Well, then this is their problem, too.”
Listen…that is an entire word!
Of course, the Fenty mogul served that moving message in style. From her divine Givenchy purple couture gown to her super sleek pony, sis DID ALL THAT! And while you might not be able to give a rousing speech like RiRi, you CAN, however, achieve the Grammy winner’s beautiful and innovative hair lewk.
Celebrity hairstylist Yusef Williams spilled all the tea about how he created Rihanna’s structural, sleek ponytail that was anything but boring.
“When I saw her dress, the first thing I noticed was how voluminous it was. I wanted to create something that would perfectly complement the dress, so we decided to do something sleek, a structural ponytail,” Yusef told HelloBeautiful.
“To give the look dimension and make it more graphic, I created a few cornrows that fed into the ponytail. This is a look every girl will want to – and can – recreate tomorrow!”
Just look at all this amazingness!
Below, Yusef breaks this style all the way down with the help of Suave products (YAAAAS affordability!):
- I started by washing + prepping her hair with the Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Sulfate-Free Shampooand Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Conditioner. The shampoo is sulfate free, and cleanses while infusing moisture and shine to the hair. The Moisturizing Curl Conditioner deeply hydrates and helps protect against breakage.
- Once her hair was cleansed and conditioned, I used the new ghd Helios Hairdryer and my new The Y by Yusef Medium Round Brush to give her a sleek, shiny blowout. The ghd Helios Hairdryer is so lightweight, but powerful and works to give you a smooth, shiny blowout. Paired with my The Y by Yusef brush, which has a thermal barrel that retains maximum heat while drying and strong nylon bristles that easily grasp hair, I created a sleek base for the look. After her hair was fully dried, I used the ghd Platinum+ Styler to eliminate any frizz and get her hair as shiny and smooth as possible.
- Next, I sectioned off her hair and braided a few cornrows and secured them. Then I used The Y by Yusef Cushion Paddle Brush,which has a wider surface to detangle and smooth thick hair, to pull her hair in a tight, sleek ponytail and secured with The Y by Yusef hair elastics and bungees to really keep it in place. They’re specifically designed to keep thick, curly hair in place without pulling on strands. Not a hair will move tonight!
- After the ponytail was secured, I pulled out a few pieces and braided them to add a cool layer of dimension. I used the Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Define & Shine Gel Serumto make her hair super sleek and shiny and then locked it all in with the Suave Professionals Firm Control Finishing Hairspray, followed by the Suave Professionals® Refresh & Revive Dry Shampoo to get rid of excess oil and mess it up a little bit so it doesn’t look so pulled together. I finished off the look by using The Y by Yusef Toothbrush to style her baby hairs.
We love it! So talented!
BEAUTIES: Have you tried the Suave Professionals for Natural Hair line?
Happy Birthday, Rihanna! Here Are 21 Of Her Most Fashionable Looks!
1. RIHANNA AT THE MET GALA, 2018Source:Getty 1 of 21
2. RIHANNA AT THE NYFW 3RD ANNUAL FASHION ROCKS CONCERT, 2006Source:Getty 2 of 21
3. RIHANNA AT THE BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS, 2006Source:Getty 3 of 21
4. RIHANNA AT THE MET GALA, 2009Source:Getty 4 of 21
5. RIHANNA AT THE 53RD ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS, 2011Source:Getty 5 of 21
6. RIHANNA AT THE BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS, 2011Source:Getty 6 of 21
7. RIHANNA AT THE WESTFIELD STRATFORD CITY CHRISTMAS LIGHTING, 2012Source:Getty 7 of 21
8. RIHANNA ON THE STREETS OF NYC, 2013Source:Getty 8 of 21
9. RIHANNA AT THE AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS, 2013Source:Getty 9 of 21
10. RIHANNA AT THE IHEARTRADIO MUSIC AWARDS, 2014Source:Getty 10 of 21
11. RIHANNA AT THE MET GALA, 2014Source:Getty 11 of 21
12. RIHANNA AT THE AMFAR LA INSPIRATION GALA, 2014Source:Getty 12 of 21
13. RIHANNA AT THE CFDA FASHION AWARDS, 2014Source:Getty 13 of 21
14. RIHANNA AT THE 57TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS, 2015Source:Getty 14 of 21
15. RIHANNA AT THE MET GALA, 2015Source:Getty 15 of 21
16. RIHANNA AT THE DIOR SHOW DURING PARIS FASHION WEEK, 2015Source:Getty 16 of 21
17. RIHANNA AT THE 59TH ANNUAL GRAMMY AWARDS, 2017Source:Getty 17 of 21
18. RIHANNA AT THE MET GALA, 2017Source:Getty 18 of 21
19. RIHANNA AT THE 4TH ANNUAL DIAMOND BALL, 2018Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. RIHANNA AT THE 5TH ANNUAL DIAMOND BALL, 2019Source:Getty 20 of 21
21. RIHANNA AT FENTY LAUNCH IN NEW YORK, 2017Source:Getty 21 of 21
GET THE LOOK: Rihanna’s NAACP Image Awards Sleek & Structured Pony was originally published on hellobeautiful.com